‘I’m not homeless, I just have nowhere to live’

Not one to walk on by, Hamza Ahmed talks to Martin about life on London’s streets

London’s homeless are as much a feature of the average high street as a coffee shop or greengrocer. But what do we actually know about the people sleeping rough on our streets? There are many causes of homelessness, according to a Government report produced by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government in March 2019, there are structural factors which are at play affecting opportunities and social conditions for individuals. These include reduced welfare, unfavourable housing and rising levels of poverty. There are also individual factors that apply to the personal circumstances of a homeless person, such as personal crisis, traumatic events, or addiction.

According to data published by the Greater London Authority, the number of people permanently living rough on London’s streets increased by nearly a quarter in three months. Furthermore, a charity that supports homeless people produced another study which analysed the developments of homelessness in England year by year. It showed that the homeless population totalled nearly 220,000 in 2019, having risen from roughly 187,000 in 2012.

All those people, all with their own experiences and stories. It made me think of how we as a public tend to avoid speaking to those who are homeless. And even if we do speak to them, we don’t really care to understand or listen to their situation; we’d rather just chuck a few quid at them or give them coffee and be on our way. So, when the opportunity presented itself, I decided to strike up a conversation with a homeless person who lives locally to me; Martin.

Martin outside his usual spot in Limehouse

Martin is in his late forties and his face is marked by a grey, scruffy beard. He speaks with a thick cockney accent, true to his London roots. I’ve passed him by more than a handful of times. He can usually be found outside my local Tesco in the mornings, engrossed in whatever book he was reading that day. We’ve talked a few times before, but it occurred to me that our conversations never ventured into anything more than the casual and distant. I had never asked about how he found himself to be homeless and what his experiences as a homeless person living on London’s streets were like. I thought it was important to know.

It was then I realised how stupid a question that was. Looking around I noticed a young boy, clutching at his mum’s hand whilst walking to the other side of the pavement, he’s fixated on us, surprised that no one could see what he was seeing. Now, Martin’s a friendly guy. We got chatting, light at first like always, but then I went a little deeper. This is what he told me about his life and how he found himself on the streets.

How did you become homeless?

Most of the 32 years I’ve spent living on the streets were my own fault. Things happened and I got kicked out, I needed to be somewhere else. I don’t know what it is about me, I could never stay in one place for too long. The problems that you run away from are always with you, even the strongest person could find themselves relying on alcohol or drugs to get by.

What’s your experience been like with the public?

Well there are some good people about, even the ones that don’t give money or speak to me as much, they do acknowledge me. It’s the ones that know you’re there, that see you but as soon as they get right up to you, they start looking up in the air like someone in the sky is talking to them. You should be so lucky that someone up there wants to talk to you!

What did you do before you became homeless?

I’ve had a lot of jobs in my time. Warehouse work, shop work, I’ve been a milkman and a chef. It was a different time. I want to get back into cooking, it keeps me calm.

I notice you’re always reading, what is your favourite novel?

I love reading, it’s an escape. There was a book that I really enjoyed called Shantaram. It’s set in the It’s about an Australian bank robber who escapes to India, he’s a heroin addict and it follows his journey of trying to get back on his feet.

How do you think people with homes relate to you being homeless?

I’ve had people come up to me and say, “I’m this close to being where you are right now”. I was listening to my radio a few months back and there was an advert for a Sky Drama and this woman put it best, “Honestly I’m not homeless, I just have nowhere to live”.

I think everyone should spend a night on the streets, not having anywhere comfortable to sleep, having not much to eat or drink, just to feel what the experience is like