Categories
EMPOWER LIFE

SEX TOYS FOR MEN – IS IT REALLY A THING?

Self-pleasure has become an important source of empowerment for women around the world in the past few decades. As the most innocent ‘Sex and The City’ character Charlotte bought herself a rabbit vibrator in the early 2000s, a lot of young women felt encouraged to experiment with their bodies and sex lives. 

However, we couldn’t help but wonder, did the sudden urge to buy sex toys for self-pleasure impact men in the same way?

The statistics show that up to 65 per cent of women are interested in the intimate toys market. According to BBC Radio, the global market of sex toys in 2017 was estimated to have amounted to £18 billion. Although the numbers show that a great number of females are consumers of the market, around 50 per cent in the US and over 70 per cent of males in European countries also have bought a sex toy for themselves or their significant other at some point in their lives. By 2020 the same market had become even more popular with the rise of acceptance for the LGBTQIA+ community and the impact of COVID – 10 that encouraged people to stay at home. Today among the most popular men’s sex toys we can find such naughty devices as masturbation sleeves, prostate massagers, and vibrating cock rings that men often choose to use together with their partners.

Although for many it’s still a taboo topic, the statistics clearly show that men do buy sex toys almost as often as women. As we spoke to one of the biggest British sex toys retail companies Ann Summers customer service team leader Elinor, she claimed that men are regular customers at their store:

‘Men from all age groups come to Ann Summers and feel comfortable purchasing sex toys for themselves and their partners.’

Photo by Carlos Henrique from Pexels

Good news gentlemen! Not only are you welcomed at the sex shops, but we are about to give some advice on what to buy when you get there. Just in case you’re embarrassed!

Ann Summer’s recommendations:

Hard Drive Pocket Stroker

‘Perfect your solo sessions with this ultra-soft pocket stroker. Designed to look like the real thing with a vagina-shaped opening and textured tunnel for complete stimulation. Personalise your pleasure by tightening your grip and stroking until you climax. Make nights alone worth staying in for.’

Petite Jewel Silicone Anal Plug

‘Experience new sensations with our Jewel Silicone Anal Plug. In a smooth silicone, this petite plug has a tapered tip for easy insertion and a wider base for a safe and comfortable removable. A sparkling jewel sits at the base, making it both pretty and pleasurable.’

Fleshlight Flight Pilot Masturbator

‘Better than ever is this sleek and compact bestselling Fleshlight Flight Pilot Male Masturbator. The inside of this discreet toy has an incredible texture made from their exclusive SuperSkin sleeve that creates super hyperactive sensations, whilst the unique aerodynamic exterior has various turbulent textures for enhanced stimulation. And remember to apply some of our water-based lube for the best possible experience.’

Photo by Phil Desforges from Pexels

However, Elinor warns that using sex toys requires certain safety measures and advice vising Ann Summers sex toy’s guide in order to have a more pleasurable experience.  

Now we know – men not only use sex toys but feel comfortable buying them (sorry we accused you of being vanilla, guys). 

But who can explain it better than men themselves! We spoke to a few TWENTYSOMETHING guys to find out whether they actually use sex toys or shy away from such kinkiness.  

Harry (he/him), 22, heterosexual and recently single

I love sex toys! I had a few while I was in a long term relationship because we were adventurous and liked to spice things up from time to time. But now as a single guy, I had to say goodbye to all the vibrators and butt plugs. I have one of those fake vaginas though!

Lukas (he/him), 23, fabulously gay

I have tried sex toys before but they never worked for me. I always felt bad about buying real ones so I never really bothered. However, I did try some DIY toys that I found online including a sponge in a glass but I didn’t enjoy it. Not to mention cucumbers and bananas… but those are not ideal and don’t go in easily. My hand is always enough.

Mas (he/him), 24, heterosexual and happily single

I have used sex toys before and I would definitely use them again. Although, I have only used it while being in a long-distance relationship and my partner at the time was aware and supportive of it. Even when we weren’t apart, we would still use sex toys to spice things up.

Alex (he/him), 26, bisexual in a situationship

I haven’t really thought of buying sex toys before. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it’s a bad idea as long as people enjoy it, but I never felt like I needed one. Although it does sound like a lot of fun! I wouldn’t invest my money into sex toys when I have two well-functioning hands and a booty call when I need something more exciting. But who knows…

Snorre (he/him), 22, heterosexual in a long term relationship

I have used sex toys in the past and still do at times. It mostly involves using sex toys on/with my girlfriend for her pleasure. Vibrators are what we most commonly use, but we’ve found a vibrating cock ring to work great for both of us, as it sort of turns my cock into a vibrator. Overall, I can’t say I’ve ever had a bad experience using sex toys.

Follow us on Instagram to tell us what you think.